Some good tunes out there this year. If you like what you year, buy an album, or go see a show!
Download link (from my dropbox; sorry for the slowness) is in the comments.
Thanks to M O’H for more perfect artwork.
#s 50-90 in no particular order; #1-49 (roughly) ranked in order of awesomeness.
90. Alabama Shakes — Don’t Wanna Fight
89. The Dø — Trustful Hands
88. Christian Scott — Sunrise in Beijing
87. Wilco — You Satellite
86. Russell St. Bombings — Side Z. The first of a good handful of songs or artists I originally heard on Henry Rollins’ Sunday night show on KCRW. Tune in.
85. Tirzah — Make It Up.
84. Jose Gonzalez — Open Book
83. Toro Y Moi — Ratcliff
82. Summer Peaks — Swim Out. Great acoustic guitar riffing.
81. Monika — Secret in the Dark. I think she is a huge thing in Greece, maybe?
80. Lower Dens — To Die in LA
79. American Wrestlers — Kelly
78. Colleen — Captain of None
77. Toro Y Moi feat. Kool AD, SAFE — 2Late
76. Lady Lamb — Billions of Eyes
75. Kendrick Lamar — Alright
74. Deerhunter — Snakeskin. Poppy, but catchy.
73. Four Tet — Evening Side
72. The Old Ceremony — Sprinter (Direwolf Remix). Direwolf breathes life and dancing and beats into what’s a pretty so-so tune at baseline.
71. Flaural — Olly Olly Oxen Free
70. Bjork — Lionsong.
69. Best Coast — California Nights. Sentimental.
68. Jahan — Thinly veiled hell.
67. Vince Staples — Norf Norf. Great video, great beat.
66. Sheer Mag — Fan the Flames
65. WIN WIN — Don’t Freak Out
64. Jacuzzi Boys — Happy Damage
63. Panda Bear — Mr Noah
62. Ned Garthe Explosion — Tonight (Live). I recorded this on my phone: not bad, eh? NGX live is pretty much the best thing ever.
61. The Arcs — Cold Companion
60. Clouds & Mountains — Cruel Universe
59. Wreckless Eric — Days of My Life
58. Sonny & the Sunsets — Happy Carrot Health Food Store. Talk to your dog.
57. Hop Along — Sister Cities
56. Fake Palms — Estates
55. of Montreal — Bassem Sabry
54. Viet Cong — March of Progress
53. The Staves — Steady
52. B. Hamilton — Maison, Miscene
51. Kamasi Washington — Change of the Guard
50. Fadioutou Wallet Inamoud — Wana Le Nouveau. Found this one (and a few others on this list) on Said the Gramaphone’s always excellent best of 2015 list.
49. Hiiragi Fukuda — 316L
48. PEACE — World Pleasure. Eh, a mistake. This song isn’t actually that good.
47. Damaged Bug — The Mirror. John Dwyer.
46. Julia Holter — Vasquez
45. St. Germain — Real Blues
44. Royal Headache — Need You
43. Sonny & the Sunsets — Cheap Extensions
42. Sufjan Stevens — Should Have Known Better. Too pretty, too emotional to actually listen too.
41. Young Fathers — Still Running
40. Dick Diver — Tearing the Posters Down
39. The Staffords — Poor Folks Live
38. Torres — Sprinter
37. Bop English — Dani’s Blues (It Was Beyond Our Control).
36. Jenny Hval — That Battle Is Over
35. Neon Indian — Slumload
34. Speedy Ortiz — Raising the Skate
33. B. Hamilton — Tequila and Marigolds.
32. Mark Ronson feat. Kevin Parker — Summertime
31. Son of Rams — Jedi Zipper Kid
30. Deradoorian — Beautiful Woman (Live). Ripped from a video. Didn’t get to see her live, unfortunately. The live versions are a little more human than the album.
29. Doug Hream Blunt — Fly Guy
28. Diane Coffee — GovT
27. Unknown Mortal Orchestra — Necessary Evil
26. Donnie Trumpet & the Social Experiment — Go
25. Tame Impala — Let It Happen. Great track, morphs and switches and emerges.
24. Ty Segall — Mr. Face
23. Tijuana Panthers — Power Plant
22. Hot Chip — Huarache Lights
21. Mbongwana Star — Masobélé
20. Fuzz — Let it Live
19. Jessie Baylin — To Hell and Back.
18. Oops it looks i skipped one. With the empty space, I think I’d put in Xol Rumi by Vinyl Williams (I put together the list in late December). You’ll have to check that one out on your own.
17. Thee Oh Sees — Lupine Ossuary. Thee Oh Sees keep making rad music that is just different enough to keep your interest
16. Buena Vista Social Club –Black Chicken 37
15. High Plains Honky — Ronnie & Phil. Tight songwriting, engaging performance, great voice.
13. Son of Rams — Heaven Sent
12. Father John Misty — Heart Shaped Box. What a cover. Only a few people could do justice to Kurt Cobain’s delivery, and Josh Tillman is one of them.
11. Deradoorian — Grow (Live on KEXP). I tried to edit this one so the KEXP dj doesn’t yell in your year, but oops i didn’t do it right.
10. Diane Coffee — Mayflower
9. Kurt Vile — Pretty Pimpin
8. Unknown Mortal Orchestra — Can’t Keep Checking My Phone. What we are all thinking.
7. Sam Gellaitry — Long Distance. This song fucking rocks. This dude is fucking 18.
6. Kendrick Lamar — King Kunta. Bouncy, fun, unusual, serious.
5. Courtney Barnett — Pedestrian At Best. Saw her perform this song last year before her new album came out and knew it would be a hit.
4. Thundercat — Them Changes. Dat bassline.
3. Tijuana Panthers — Foolish. Maybe my favorite album of the year.
2. B. Hamilton — Didn’t I. This song could rip sheet metal to shreds.
1. Sonny & the Sunsets — The Application. I’ve been humming this song pretty much every day since I first heard it. Catchy, funny, appropriately nonsensical.